How do you get a toddler to sleep later in the morning? Samuel used to sleep 'til about 7:30, but for the past month it's crept earlier and earlier. This morning he was up at 5:45! He's happy when he wakes and just talks in his room and kicks the side of his crib until we go to get him, but then a few hours later it's obvious that he didn't get enough sleep!
Some things I've tried...
-I've tried putting him to bed earlier, but he talks in his crib until almost 9 most nights regardless of when we put him down. He also usually wakes from his nap around 4 (which I don't want to change!!) so it would leave a short evening if we put him down much earlier.
- I've tried leaving him in his crib until wake up time... about 7:30. He'll stay in there happily until whenever I go get him, but he's not getting the sleep he needs.
Any other ideas?
4 comments:
I hate to tell you this but I think you are doing it all right and he is probably sleeping enough for him right now. Harrison has gone through times like that where he sleeps a lot less than I think he should. As long as he is waking up happy and you are giving him a chance to sleep enough, there is nothing else you can do.
It's so great that he is so content to hang out in his crib in the mornings, but then when he's tried by 9 or 10 that's got to be annoying. Hmmm.... I was going to suggest the earlier bedtime, but it sounds like you're trying that. We put them down around 7:30 even if they do wake up at 4 and it seems to work sometimes. Especially if they've been over tired and need to catch up. Good luck!
Earlier nap time? then earlier wake up? then earlier bed time?
blackout shades? could the earlier sunrise be waking him?
I was going to suggest the same things as Amy--earlier nap time and thus earlier bed time. Sounds like you've tried it all though.
I guess you'll just have to teach Sam to turn on the tv and pour his own cereal so that you can sleep in. :)
Post a Comment