- He loves to role play... he even has things very scripted where he requires that I say certain things at certain times and gets mad when my stubborn self refuses to say it exactly how he requests.
- He still loves to play church. His cars and stuffed animals have joined in on the action and each get a turn at the pulpit. His sermons have become much more intelligible and I sometimes hear him say little things that make me think he's really starting to comprehend and regurgitate what's being said around him at real church. A few weeks ago, he and Emma were playing church and I heard yelled, "No Emma that's the wine (communion wine), babies can't have wine!"
- He still adores trash trucks. This morning he took all the toys in the playroom (or almost all) and put them in his "trash truck" (a couple of boxes). Thankfully, he also helped to put it all away.
- His newest obsession is being my sous chef. He's enjoyed this for a while, but it's risen to a new level of interest lately. He shows us to our seats in the restaurant, takes our orders (he is always out of what we ask for, so he makes what he wants), makes a meal suggestion, and it always "has to be mixed". The movie Ratatouille has created so many new play scenarios to recreate in his kitchen.
- Sports are still a part of everyday play. Whenever he comes to tell me, "this shirt is dirty" or "we won the game," it means he has to go change shirts into a new sports shirt (always with numbers on it) for the next pretend sport game. We also always have someone to use the microphone and talk about the game (the commentator). When an adult can't do it, Emma gladly takes on the commentator role.
- His speech has come a long way! He seems to be on track with his peers in this area. I still love and want to remember some of his adorable little misspeaks… Hostibottal (Hospital), Zimert (dessert), Strawbaberry (Strawberry), Toys For Us (Toys R Us), panyo (piano).
- He has lost interest in playing school with me. It's a struggle to get him to work on writing letters or sounding out words. He used to think it was fun, but he's outgrown that. He still loves to read books, so we are just doing more through reading and playtime. After having my own children and seeing how they learn and develop, I feel bad about the way I taught my fifth graders. I just didn't understand kids thinking and interests as much back then. : )
I asked him some questions that, if I remember, I will ask him every year on his birthday. Some of them were still too abstract for him, or he just didn't have interest in answering them, but we got some cute answers...
Favorite Food: Chicken; Orange Chicken
Favorite Sport to Play: Soccer
The Best Show on TV is: Football; Tennis; Mickey Mouse
The Coolest Person on Earth is: Mickey Mouse
Favorite Car: Trash Truck
My favorite thing to learn about in school: Go Outside
The thing I do best: Play Soccer
If I could go anywhere in the world, I would go to: Chuck E Cheeses
My favorite color is: Blue
When I grow up, I’m going to be a: Football Player
My favorite song is: Rap; We Are Young (by Fun)
My favorite book right now is: Llama, llama Red Pajama
Three words that describe me are: Soccer Player, Inside a house, (too abstract, he doesn’t really get it)
When I was little, I used to: I said things like Emma says
My favorite time of the year is: Thursday
The best thing about going outside is: Playing Baseball
The snack I like best is: Goldfish
One food I don’t like is: Spicy Chicken
My best friend is: Charlie
If I had one wish it would be: (He didn't understand this one)

4 comments:
Oh Samuel! How big you have gotten! We adore you all the way here in Arkansas. Love you Sambo!
So cute... I love the questions. My favorite time of the year is Thursday too. :)
What an awesome boy! Great glimpse of this amazing 4 year old soccer playing, trash truck lovin sous chef.
Re: playing church - I heard his "sermon" last weekend and he said clearly (loudly :), "It's darkness but you can know the light." Wow.
Happy Birthday Sam! I see a recurring theme in his answers--he likes to go outside. :) Wish we lived closer so our cautious, caring sons could be friends!
I totally argee with your statement about teaching. I can't tell you how many times I've thought--everyone should be a parent before becoming a teacher. Completely changes your perspective!
Post a Comment