Monday, February 1, 2010

18 Months Old

The out takes... I actually had to take extra pictures to get some good out takes this time. The above picture was the second one I shot! He still hammed it up for me to get some good action shots too... here we have (not in order) harp face (this is the face I make when practicing and sometimes performing harp), the itsy bitsy spider, a growl, the splits, never staying still boy, and my little cheese ball!
Wow! A year and a half?! Really?! Samuel continues to show us more of his sweet personality all the time.
His favorite activities of late...
- running - holding mama and papa's hands and yelling "ahhhh" as he pulls us along behind him
- dancing - mama or papa jumping around in circles while holding Sam and ending in a dip... Samuel then copies these actions with his stuffed monkey (his "oo-oo")
- rough house - chasing and tackling Clara until she's had enough and goes to hide under the bed
- cleaning house - he loves to take things out of the drawers and off shelves and systematically stack said items on his table, chairs, or the edge of the bath tub... and, sometimes, put it all back
- cooking - he begs to get up on the counter and help me cook and then mimics cooking with his toy kitchen we made for him out of a cardboard box
- staying busy! - he is always moving, always hungry, and always looking for new friends to play with (well, friends to hand toys to or big kids to watch play)

His new developments...
- He's becoming more vocal. My "quiet" little boy has decided that talking (with his mouth and not using sign language) is not so bad. He enjoys sitting in his crib after he wakes up, for a long time (like up to an hour), practicing his sounds and new ways to combine them. He used to babble using one consonant at a time (gagagagaga or bababababa, etc.), but now he combines consonants and applies voice inflection like he's carrying on a whole conversation with himself (BAbagaGagagadaDA) and throws in a few of his real words too... papa, gaga (dog), mama, and ba (ball) are popular favorites. I love listening to him practice over the monitor while I make coffee and get ready in the mornings!

- So, I mentioned that he does this in his crib... yes, he pushes us away if he's not ready to get up when we go in there. So, we leave him, until he starts calling for mama or papa. He usually wakes around 7, but doesn't get out of bed till closer to 8! I love our new routine!!

- Motor skills have always been a strength for Samuel and he continues to love to run, jump, and climb over everything. Clara is a fun moving obstacle to jump on (usually more like falling on her) and tackle (more like try to climb over or pry her mouth open). He likes to climb onto his toy train and ride it while standing on the seat (no fear!!). But my favorite part is when he's climbing all over the place and stops for a quick hug and a cuddle before moving on!!

Samuel has a great sense of humor and loves to laugh. He keeps me great company when shopping or driving around town. I love spending my days with him and watching him grow and change all the time! Happy half birthday Sama-Lama!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww! Yay! Les...you are an absolutely incredible mom! It is obvious how much you love and adore this boy! And so fun....he sounds like you--really good at motor skills-climbing, running, doesn't sit still-yep, that's familiar ;) I love your new routine for you, too! so nice to have a slower morning as he's conversing with himself! Too cute! Love to Bud, Sam and YOU!

Amy said...

Great post- he's getting so old! I am very jealous of his need for some independant wake up time in his crib...ha ha!

Unknown said...

Love your updates--I feel like I'm right there with you enjoying Sam's activities. Can't wait to see you all next week!

Alyssa said...

I was hoping to find an 18 month update when I signed on tonight! I look forward to your monthly updates - keep them up! You paint such a vivid picture of adorable Sam - I love it! Can you record his crib chattering and post it - sounds so cute!

Anonymous said...

G'Daddy said...
I just loved reading about his new tricks and his morning routine. You and Bud are such great parents! And Sama'Lama is so adorable!

Little S said...

I really enjoyed this post about Sam (or as Kellen would say Saaam). :) He is such a sweet heart!

Sara A. said...

Happy 1.5 years Samuel! You're getting so big! Gaby used to do the exact thing in her crib - play for an hour after waking up! It's so nice! It looks like you're a ton of fun Samuel!

Cindy said...

Love these updates! I can sense the joy from you in each milestone. The year and half has flown by and it's so precious to see you and Bud enjoying the moments, cherishing this season, and anticipating God's awesome plan for Sama Lama's fabulous future. Hugs to all!