Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Samuel's New Routine

I introduced Samuel to finger painting last week. He wasn't really sure about the mess, but has asked to paint again several times since. So, I guess it was a success :) We worked on drawing lines and circles... he needs some more practice, but it was a fun way to learn!
He lost interest after a little while...
This activity was part of our new daily routine. Samuel and I were both in need of more structure... primarily including independent play time. As we have entered the "terrific twos," he has forgot how to play alone and requires my constant attention. I figured this was a battle I'd be better off addressing before baby's arrival. So, most days Samuel is required to play alone for a chunk of time. In addition to this, we added other fun activities that we do together - including art/music time, story time, school lessons, chores, and "recess" (I'm enjoying using my teacher training :)) - so that he understands that there are times when we work and play together and other times when he plays alone. It was a struggle at first, but he's starting to figure it out. I've enjoyed being more intentional with our time together and more productive with my time while he's playing alone. And, he has become much more pleasurable during the day and has learned a lot (thus the counting video)! I have really enjoyed being a stay-at-home mom this week. Why haven't I been doing this before now... :)

4 comments:

kate said...

GREAT ideas!! I think I'll be coming to you for advice in about 2 years! :) I'm so happy you have a routine that you love.

Unknown said...

Samuel gets cuter every day! I'm glad you've found a routine that works for you. It will be great for Samuel to understand "alone time" when you are busy with the new baby. Love you all!

Little S said...

I hear you!! We started our schedule a few weeks ago and it has made life so much more enjoyable for both Kellen and I. I think deep down he likes alone play time. :) It also allows me time to read my bible and get my sanity back.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Lutz, this sounds like a lot more fun than math class and grading papers! Sam is so blessed to spend time with you! Love you, Gigi