Wednesday, July 31, 2013

My big five year old

Samuel is FIVE! How is that possible?! I have loved watching him grow up and his interests grow this year. He is such an amazing kid. A few of his latest interests/developments…
- He loves to pretend play. Playing church still happens almost daily. His stuffed animals or toy monsters have been preaching a lot lately. He takes care of us and plays doctor (he learned a lot of new things to do at the dr. after his five year appointment). He's compassionate when we are sick or hurt and always wants to help however he can. Cars, stuffed animals, or anything else are often found in the middle of a baseball game. Some newer additions to pretend play have been police man and lifeguard. Not my favorite activities because the primary action of this play is to be bossy and tell people what to do or hand out tickets.
- Sports are still a big part of his life. He would wear a jersey of some kind every day if we let him. Really, he would wear multiple jerseys every day and change every time he starts playing something new. He goes through about 3 or 4 shirts a day if we are home.
- Samuel has several chores and is always willing to "help" clean and cook all the time. While at the beach last week, he often spent his time with a broom sweeping up sand because that's what he wanted to do, not because we asked him to. He has a few chores that he has to do, but those aren't nearly as fun as helping with what mommy is doing. He takes care of the trash, picking up his toys, dishwasher, switching laundry, and putting away his laundry on a regular basis.
- According to Samuel, a lot of things are going to change now that he's five. He says that when he's five, he's not going to wear water wings anymore, he's not going to be afraid of the hand dryer or automatic flusher anymore, and he will listen to different music every night. We shall see. :)
- He still has a few "baby" words that I love and will be sad to see go away… zimmert (dessert), zimmouri (Missouri), stupter (super), hostapatle (Hospital).
- Samuel is quite the runner! We walked 2.5 miles the other day and he never once complained or wanted to get in the stroller. He has also ran at least a mile with minimal breaks. He has great endurance.
- He's reading! He can read most simple children's books, with help on a few words. He always surprises me when we are driving around and he asks, "Why does that say ____?" A common one is, "why does that say warning?"
- He's going to kindergarten on Thursday! This has been a tough decision, trying to decide if he should go this year or next. But after much prayer, talking with people that know him, talking with people that know the system, doctors, etc. we feel good about the decision and are ready to get this school stuff kicked off. Early bedtime, packing lunches, school schedules, here we go!



I asked Samuel the same questions as last year… 

Favorite Food: Cereal  
Favorite Sport to Play: Baseball... I like being the coach and making the guys move around 
The Best Show on TV is: Clifford 
The Coolest Person on Earth is: The best five year old who lives... me  
Favorite Car: Honda
My favorite thing to learn about in school: Reading  
The thing I do best: Take out the trash and put a new trash bag in
If I could go anywhere in the world, I would go to: Gigi and Dodo’s house
My favorite color is: Green and Orange 
When I grow up, I’m going to be a: Police Man 
My favorite song is: Our Father 
My favorite book right now is: The Pigeon Books 
Three words that describe me are: Smart about some stuff, not silly, in the middle (not tall or short)  
When I was little, I used to: crawl and try to play with emma  
My favorite time of the year is: sleeping and getting energy 
The best thing about going outside is: Laying on the hammock and playing in the baby pool
The snack I like best is: Goldfish or cheese sticks  
One food I don’t like is: Smashed potatoes 
My best friend is: Waylon 
If I had one wish it would be: that kindergarten would help me do stuff  
My favorite thing we did this year was: Go ice skating 

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

Mom and I were just talking about whether you would do these questions again this year - love them! Just compared them to his 4 year old answers here: http://budandleslie.blogspot.com/2012/08/4-year-old-update.html

Looks like he still likes Goldfish crackers but most other things have changed - and he understands the questions a lot more now. Ready for kindergarten!!!!! Still as adorable as ever! Love, Aunt Alyssa

Cindy said...

So adorable!!! Great blogpost trying to encapsulate this amazing 5 year old! He is such a joy!!!

Little S said...

I'm catching up on blogs. :) It's crazy that we have 5 year olds!! I love the questions each year, it certainly shows more of sweet Sam's personality.