Wednesday, July 16, 2008

New Developments...

Baby Lutz is coming really soon! Only a little over a week until my due date! YEAH! As of my doctors appointment last week, there have been some new developments. Apparently, I have gestational diabetes. So, for the last two weeks of my pregnancy I have had to cut out all sugar and limit a lot of carbs. I also have to check my blood sugar at least twice a day. It's likely to go away once baby Lutz is born, but I'll likely deal with it for my future pregnancies and later in life. As far as the risk to the baby, they are mainly concerned with him growing too large. This could cause him to get stuck (OUCH!), or they might take him by c-section to avoid this. However, so far this pregnancy, he's been measuring perfectly on target. I have not even gotten that big during this pregnancy, so I'm not thinking it's going to cause any problems. Also, since I developed this so late (it usually appears when they do a glucose test between 24 and 28 weeks), Baby Lutz hasn't had a chance to accumulate the added weight.
I have a new sympathy for my dad, who is diabetic, with giving up the sugar! Up until this past week, my daily food consumption usually consisted of sugar cereal (my favorites were cinnamon toast crunch and cocoa puffs), kool-aid, marshmallows, and fudge bars after every meal (one day I had 4 :)). It's a struggle to cut all this out, but it's worth it for the baby! I'm adjusting my diet based on my blood sugar results and figuring out my body's limits, slowly but surely. It is definitely a healthier way to eat anyway and I will probably try to keep it up (with a few exceptions) even if the diabetes goes away when baby arrives.

No comments: