Wednesday, June 13, 2012

18 Months Old

How is it possible that my little baby girl is 1.5 years old?! She continues to be quite a character, quite a handful, and quite a joy to us everyday. I often stop and laugh at the circumstances that Emma puts us in... screaming through an entire shopping trip, running  the other way and laughing when I tell her to "come here," crying because I didn't immediately give her a clorox wipe to "help" clean, and getting everyone to join in on a dance party in the kitchen. We sure do love this little troublemaker and the excellent dynamic she brings to our family. 

So, on to her recent developments... 
- We have reintroduced the phrase "use your words" into our everyday language. She often grunts, but is able to use words to explain what she needs. If she doesn't know how to say it, she will show us. I love when I can interpret her grunts! 
- She's getting into jumping. Although, she doesn't get off the ground, she is so proud of herself when she "jumps." She also enjoys "jumping" from the coffee table to the couch like Samuel does... really she just holds our hand and kind of falls onto it. 
- She LOVES swimming. We have only been twice so far this year, but she cried when it was time to go both times. She loves jumping off the side, floating on her back, and splashing. She also has little fear of the water and wants to do everything brother does.
- She's a big fan of dancing. She plays music and sways back and forth, but most of the time she looks for "Baba's" (Papa's) hands to hold onto and dance. 
- She is loving her Papa lately. She cries when he leaves for work and always wants to dance with him. 
- Loves shoes and can put a few pairs on by herself. 
- She loves to go "side." (outside)
- Emma is quite the expert at getting her way, especially at the store. She starts off sitting in the cart, when she's had enough of that she starts to climb out. Since I can't let her do that, I put her in the back of the cart. She wants me to give her a "Na" (snack) right in the cart, sometimes I oblige, other times I pick her up. She will stay in my arms for a minute, then throws herself backwards so abruptly and with such strength that I have to catch her with my other arm. I hold her with both arms (can't push the cart of course) and she does the worm, arms up and squirms to where I physically can't hold on to her. So, she gets to walk... which means everyone else in the store knows her name as I'm constantly saying, "Emma stop, Emma come back, Emma no touch, Emma Jean, listen and obey." Boring story, but for my own records. :)  

I hope to get some more 18 month pictures sometime, but with our upcoming travels it might not happen till 19 months... poor second child. Here's some from our trip to the Arboretum with Grandma and Grandpa (more on that soon). She was a hambone! 
Playing in the creek, licking the creek water off her hands... 

 Not even standing still to put her skirt back on...


 I couldn't even catch her on camera... and this was with my fast lens/settings. :)
Video of her "tricks"... 

3 comments:

Christina said...

Emma is so cute! I love reading about her and all she does. She seems very similar to Haley! Hope your summer is going well, it definetly sounds busy. We need to get together sometime! It has been WAY too long :)

Cindy said...

Absolutely adorable! Thanks for taking time for this wonderful post amidst your chasing of Emma. Her personality is dynamic and precious. You're doing a great job bending but not breaking her spirit.

Lauren said...

That story is most certainly NOT boring! It's hilarious! I can just picture her strength back bending her way out of your arms! Oh my--no wonder you're so strong willed. And mom has to be laughing, because my impression from stories is that you were similar when you were little.